Sunday, April 20, 2008

What Do You Do?

I have never been more conscious of racist, ignorant, and discriminating jokes and remarks that occur in my everyday life from people all around me. I believe that it is important to take a stand in some form of protest to let these people know that those types of comments are simply not okay. Even if this protest is as small as not laughing at the person's joke. I remember talking about this subject in class and our instructor suggested asking the joke teller, "Why do you think that joke is funny?" Then the joke teller will really have to run around in circles to not feel like the ignorant person they are posting themselves as. I know this can cause for some really difficult situations, especially when you encounter this with your friends or family. But, at the same time, you are given the opportunity to open someones eyes a little bit wider and see the other side to their joke. Sometimes this is the best time to address an issue because the person might learn something from you when they were least expecting it. I know life throws you some situations where you have to choose your battles. I try to look at it this way, if I can stop on person at a time from telling those jokes or making those comments, then I am making a small difference that could eventually turn into a big difference. So let's all be a little more aware of the comments made by those around us who have not been fortunate enough as us to learn about all the other great groups of people this world has to offer, and take a minute to educate them.

No comments: